Thursday, February 2, 2012

Character Modeling Concept :D

The first assignment in my character 3d modeling class is....to design the character, it needs to be based on an existing AAA video game title, I chose Bioware's Dragon Age as medieval things and I are probably inseparable.

So from the beginning I wanted to make this character have wings, no matter what it was, probably because I am insane? Who knows. Anyway, so here's some concepts where I attempted to figure out the style of Dragon Age, lots of stuff on the hips I noticed.


After a few of these concept drawings I really latched onto the idea of visualizing Andraste, she's this sort of goddess character in the game, you never see her and as far as I know she is never really described, and with the wings and all,  yes, this was happening.

So here's my rough concept page, per the assignment, a front and side view with a 3/4 action pose.


At the time I was really happy with this, the painting especially. But looking back on it only a few hours later, the pose wasn't dynamic enough, the painting rough, and I hated the design of the page, very boring, and some errors with the wing anatomy needed to be fixed, So I redid it.

(before I fixed the wings)

I tried to emulate the red and grey color scheme in all of Dragon Age's promo stuff, something I probably should have done from the beginning. The rough line art for the new painting on there too, I really wanted to focus on getting the lineart really solid before moving on, I really enjoy perfecting lineart, and I was hoping it would help the final painting too.

Above is the final lineart before painting, and here is the final. I don't have any process shots in between these two, but it was a lot of trial and error.


I'm happier with this than the first one, but I don't think the painting really shows how much time I put into it because it ended up so small on the sheet, here's a close up (50%) of it for funsies.




BONUS :D

this bird is on my tumblr, and now he is here. yay.